Taiwan: Fu Hang Dou Jiang

Another Taipei institution that I finally decided to bite the bullet and check out was Fu Hang Dou Jiang:


While the stall itself is located in a food court on the second floor, its lines have been known to snake down the stairs, out the door, and around the building.  At peak times, the wait can be up to an hour long.  Just for Taiwanese breakfast.

Don't get me wrong.  I love Taiwanese breakfast.  But to stand an hour in line for it when there are breakfast joints abound in Taipei with little to no wait?  Never seemed worth it to me.  Plus, I usually stay with my grandparents in Danshui when I visit Taiwan and it's just too much of a hassle to get from there all the way to the heart of Taipei for breakfast.  On this last trip, however, I stayed with Jiejie in Yonghe, which made a morning excursion to Fu Hang much more reasonable.

It being a Tuesday, we kept our fingers crossed for a shorter wait.  When we arrived at Fu Hang around 9:45 am, we were pleased to see a bit of a line outside, but nothing too crazy.  Before we knew it, we were through the door, up the stairs, and in the food court.  Jiejie took care of ordering, while I scouted for a seat.  The food was ready in a jiffy.  Luckily, finding a table for two wasn't horrendously difficult.

You can't have Taiwanese breakfast without soy milk.  We got a hot sweet soy milk (30 NT / $0.95) for Jiejie and a savory one (35 NT / $1.10) for me:


Classic.  Gotta add a splash of soy sauce to the savory soy milk to season it and some vinegar to slightly curdle it.  It might might sound weird, but it's delicious.  Trust me.

We weren't aiming to get full, so we probably should have skipped the savory fan tuan (45 NT / $1.43):


This glutinous rice burrito of sorts was stuffed with egg, pickled veggies, pork floss, and super crunchy you tiao (fried dough).  I've had a lot of mediocre fan tuan in my life, but this was definitely not one of them.  I honestly didn't expect to like it so much.  The youtiao was fried to the point of no return in a very good and crispy way.  The pickled veggies were just the right amount of salty.  And the egg and pork floss added just a tinge of sweet.  So good.

Besides soy milk, Fu Hang is known for its thick shao bing with you tiao (55 NT / $1.75):


Typically, shao bing (a type of baked flatbread) comes thinner and flaky.  Fu Hang has the traditional type, but it also offers this thicker kind of shao bing:


After having this, I'm not sure I can go back to the regular shao bing.  This thicker one was crisp on the outside and pillow-y on the inside.  The layer of green onions was a delightful surprise to bite into.

I really wanted to say that Fu Hang is all hype, but I cannot deny that it's freakin' delicious.  Everything tastes fresh right out of the oven because it actually is.  But would I wait an hour in line for it?

....Maybe.

Alright, alright!  Yes!  Yes, I would wait.  Dammit.


阜杭豆漿
台北市忠孝東路一段108號2樓
+886 2 2392 2175

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!