Houston: Whataburger

On our way to Peru, we had a layover in Houston.  My sister and I looked up what lunch options we had and I got extremely excited when I saw Whataburger on the list.  Ever since I watched a Buzzfeed video on Whataburger, I really wanted to try it out.

Unfortunately, Whataburger was in a different terminal and we didn't have enough time to get there and back before our flight to Lima.  So instead, we ate at Wendy's and schemed.

On the way back from Peru, we had a slightly longer layover in Houston.  We got a little nervous when our flight in was delayed, causing CK and AG to miss their flight back to Chicago.  By the time they ironed out everything, we had to sprint to Whataburger.

Or I wanted to sprint.  AG goes through life at his own pace and there's no known way to speed him up (off the basketball court).  I was tempted to leave him behind, but I settled for a brisk walk and left it to CK to make sure AG was keeping up.

When we got to Whataburger, we found ourselves at the back of a long line:


It went fairly quickly, however.  In no time at all, we were at the cashier giving our order.

One of the things I wanted to try was the honey butter chicken biscuit.  But it was part of the breakfast menu and breakfast had just ended before we arrived.  I was bummed to say the least, but my sister figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if we could still order one.

Thank goodness she asked:


That biscuit.  That fried chicken.  That honey butter sauce!

We also got the patty melt:


It doesn't look too appetizing in this photo, but trust me, it was delicious.  Two beef patties, two slices of Monterey Jack cheese, grilled onions, some kind of creamy pepper sauce, and thick Texas toast.

We ordered both sandwiches as meals.  The patty melt came with fries, while the biscuit came with hash browns:


It's definitely true that everything is bigger in Texas.  Just look at that drink!

The taters on their own weren't exactly special, but the spicy ketchup kicked everything up a notch:


Once you try spicy ketchup, regular ketchup will never satisfy you.

Whataburger was everything I dreamed of and more.  No froufrou stuff.  Just hearty sandwiches that will clog your arteries.

In the best way possible.


Whataburger
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
Terminal B
3100 N Terminal Rd
Houston, TX 77032
(281) 233-3347
http://whataburger.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!