SF Peninsula: Backhaus

CL is not an early riser.  We all know this.  So instead of setting an early get together time for our chicken wing bracket, T and I took the chance to explore downtown San Mateo a bit in the morning.  We didn't really have a destination in mind.  When we came across a line outside Backhaus, we just naturally joined the queue: 


It was a bit late in the morning by bakery standards, so we could only watch from the window as the available offerings slowly dwindled:


We did still manage to score a few things we wanted though.  Like this speck and egg breakfast bowl ($6):


The pastry was buttery and flaky.  The mustard added a nice zing.  And the center was filled with ham and a whole egg:


I was a bit disappointed that the egg yolk wasn't runny, but that's just a personal preference thing.  I also wish it was just slightly saltier.

We also got the kouign amann ($4.50):


And we got talked into also ordering the chocolate hazelnut croissant (probably around $5):


Here's a look at the innards:


 A bit too sweet for my tastes.  I'm more of a savory gal, but I can certainly see the appeal.

At around $5 per pastry, Backhaus isn't exactly cheap.  But this is the Bay, so it's unfortunately kind of the norm.  While I might never become a regular customer, I wouldn't mind splurging on a breakfast treat every once in a while.


Backhaus
32 E 3rd Ave
San Mateo, CA 94401
(650) 200-9493
https://backhausbread.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!