Orange County: Fluffie

We were supposed to go to Kang Kang Food Court after Howlin' Ray's, but that didn't happen.  Howlin' Ray's did us in.  Instead, we licked our wounds at One Zo and then eventually dragged our sorry butts to Westminster, where T and CV wanted to do some grocery shopping.

Abby was dozing in the car, yet she somehow managed to catch a fleeting glimpse of a Japanese cheesecake shop from her window, something the rest of us all missed.  She didn't quite see where it was located, so she led us from plaza to plaza on what we all thought would be a wild good chase.  Just when we were ready to tell her that she'd hallucinated it, we came across Fluffie:


We should've never doubted my sister's cheesecake radar.  Only she would spot a bakery from a moving vehicle the very first day of their soft opening:


Since it was their first day, a lot of things on their menu were not available.  We were very disappointed as we were super curious about the durian cheesecake.  The menu also listed matcha, coffee, and ube.  Instead, we had to settle for the original ($8.50):


Besides cheesecake, Fluffie also has Hokkaido cupcakes, cheese tarts, cream puffs, and creme brulee.  We were again super excited to see durian as a flavor option for all of those...only to be told that only the creme brulee ($2.25) was available:


At least they had durian for that.  (As you've probably figured out by now, we love durian.)

Abby, of course, was most excited to try the cheesecake.  While I've never been a big Japanese-style cheesecake fan (I love their denser, richer cousin), Abby has suddenly become obsessed recently.  I don't know what she was looking for, but she didn't find it at Fluffie.  After we all dug in, the cheesecake received rather uninspired reactions from our group.

We then turned to the creme brulee, which I was much more interested in.  I mean, durian!  That interest quickly fizzled the moment I took my first bite.  The durian taste wasn't as present as I'd hoped and the texture was a bit eggy, which I didn't like at all.

While I wasn't exactly impressed, I can't hold it against Fluffie.  Since it was their first day of business, it is to be expected that there might be some issues.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll go back a year from now and have a completely different experience.


Fluffie
9102 Bolsa Ave
Westminster, CA 92683
(714) 902-1661
http://fluffie.net/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!