Los Angeles: Eggslut

During our SoCal trip back in November, we planned for one day in LA.  The only reason why we even bothered to brave the traffic was this:


Eggslut.

Located in Grand Central Market, Eggslut is the first thing you see when the roll-up doors go up.  We actually got there before Eggslut opened for the day.  We weren't the only ones though.  There was already a line by the time we found our way inside Grand Central Market (the roll-up doors weren't even open then).

I love eggs.  When I first heard about Eggslut, I laughed at the name, but I knew instinctively that it was meant for me.  So very fitting.

The breakfast menu at Eggslut consisted of five items.  We got three of the five.

The Fairfax ($7) is a breakfast sandwich made of super fluffy scrambled eggs, chives, cheddar, caramelized onions, and sriracha mayo in a brioche bun:


Everything was soft and heavenly, from the bun to the eggs.  Super tasty, but I kind of wish there was something to change up the texture a bit.

The bacon, egg, and cheese ($6) had exactly that:


Soft brioche bun, over medium egg, cheddar, crispy bacon, and chipotle ketchup.  So simple, yet so divine.

But my absolute favorite (and the real reason why I was dying to try Eggslut) was the slut ($9):


Not exactly cheap for a small jar of coddled egg on top of potato puree, but oh so worth it.  Probably even worth the firstborn child I'll never have.  It's that good.  The baguette on the side is cute, but it's really all about that potato puree.  And the egg.  I could just sit in front of a TV and eat a Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended version of course) worth of the stuff and not get sick of it.

Omygawd, I can't get over how good it is.

Go now.  It'll change your life.  Expect LA prices, but the food is awesome and the service is fast.  You might even catch a minor celebrity sighting like we did.  (Bobby Lee was apparently behind us in line.  I didn't know who he was, so my sister had to show me on her cell phone.  Though he ordered after us, he got his food way before.  They never even called out his name.  Instead, eye contact was made and his sandwiches were silently slid across the counter into his hands.)

And oh!  If you want, you can ask for the lid to take the jar home as a souvenir.  I was seriously tempted, but ultimately decided not to.  I mean, the jar is cute, but what worth is it to me without the slut in it?


Eggslut
317 South Broadway St
Los Angeles, CA 90013
http://www.eggslut.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!