New York: Smorgasburg

And so I'm back...from outer space!  I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face...

...Okay, I'll stop now.  (Sometimes I just can't help myself.)

Anyway, lots of things went down during my recent trip to the East Coast.  But before I can get to them, I have to finish up my last trip to New York.

My flight back to California was Sunday evening, which left the entire morning and early afternoon free for shenanigans.  Nana brought my sister and I to Brooklyn to check out Smorgasburg, which is essentially a flea market/food fair extravaganza.  Think food booths as far as the eye can see.

We did a careful walk through first before deciding on what booths to order from.  We ended up stuffing our faces and I documented all of it with my camera.  And of course, I lost all of it when my hard drive crashed.  Curses!

My sister had three photos in her cell phone that she's given me permission to share with you.  Hopefully, you'll get an idea from them how awesome Smorgasburg is. 

One of our first stops was at Bolivian Llama Party.  I'd never had Bolivian food, so I was curious to see what it's all about.  We ordered a beef salteña, which is a Bolivian baked empanada:


The beef filling was sweet and the dough was dense and delicious.  I was enjoying it until Nana pointed out that the taste reminded her of Chef Boyardee.  Ugh.

We got a sausage roll, but I don't remember from where:


I remember the sausage being good, but the sandwich being kind of dry overall.

At the Milk Truck Grilled Cheese booth, we got a bowl of mac and cheese:


The mac and cheese was made with cheddar, gruyere, and asiago cheeses and topped with rosemary bread crumbs.  We added in some caramelized onions for an added sweetness.  So rich and yummy.

Not pictured here are the hibiscus and cafe au lait donuts from Dough, the Arnold Palmer slush with pear puree mix-in from Kelvin Natural Slush Co., as well as the blueberry sweet corn and strawberry lemongrass popsicles and plum chai shaved ice from People's Pops.

A stop by Dough is a must.  The donuts are light and fluffy and just heavenly.  Kelvin Natural Slush Co. also cannot be missed, especially on a hot day.  People's Pops is creative and fun, but skip the sweet corn.  It's very...corn-y.

Lots to see and lots to eat at Smorgasburg.  It has various locations.  The one we went to was at Brooklyn Bridge Park at Pier 5 and is open Sundays from 11:00am to 6:00pm.  Bring lots of cash because you'll definitely end up wanting to buy everything.

Self control is overrated.


Smorgasburg
Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier 5
Joralemon St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
http://www.smorgasburg.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!