Chicago: Bang Bang Pie

Ever since Bang Bang Pie opened their storefront, I've been dying to get inside.  Before church one Sunday, I casually hinted at dropping by Bang Bang post-service to Queen G and she jumped right on it.  Success!

So immediately following church, the four of us (Queen G, EK, a new friend, and yours truly) zoomed on over to Bang Bang Pie:  


It has to be one of the cutest new spaces to have opened up in Chicago recently:


I love all the natural light from the giant windows and how the kitchen is entirely open so that you can see all the magic as it happens.

We were super curious about the blood orange pie:


Definitely the most interesting pie I've had in a long while, though I can't say that it was my favorite.  Maybe it's something about eating orange rinds that just throws me off...

The peanut butter cream, however, was downright DIVINE:


When we first saw the pie, all our thoughts were pretty much the same: where's the peanut butter?  Oh ho ho.  That thin layer of peanut butter at the top and at the base were enough to give this pie the richest peanut taste.  Together with the cream....guh.  I couldn't stop stuffing my face with this one.

As always, there are perks to eating out with Queen G.  Since she's friends with the owners, Megan herself brought us a slice of French silk, which she was working on perfecting:


We were all stunned when she let us in on a secret: it was her first time making French silk pie.  Say wut?  Far denser than any French silk I've had before, but I much prefer it this way.  Super silky and just all around amazing.

Bang Bang Pie also serves biscuits.  I know it's hard, but don't get caught up in the pies because this baby is possibly the best biscuit in the world:


So buttery I wanted to die.  In a good way, of course.  I could have walked away happy with just this biscuit.  No, that's the lie.  I couldn't have walked away with a slice of peanut butter cream pie.

Bang Bang Pie also has a cute little housemade preserves and butter station:


Here's a tip for all y'all.  Go straight for the black pepper honey butter.  It's kind of genius.

With just a few weeks left before I hightail it out of Chicago for good, I have to say, I'm making slow, but steady progress on my list of places to eat at before I peace out.

Bang Bang Pie...check!

Except I kinda want to go back again.  I suppose I still have enough time for repeats...


Bang Bang Pie
2051 N California Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 276-8888
http://www.bangbangpies.com/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!